Sunday, January 13, 2019

A Little Bit of Water Can Go A Long Way



Second readingActs 10:34-38 
God had anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit
Peter addressed Cornelius and his household: ‘The truth I have now come to realize’ he said ‘is that God does not have favorites, but that anybody of any nationality who fears God and does what is right is acceptable to him.
  ‘It is true, God sent his word to the people of Israel, and it was to them that the good news of peace was brought by Jesus Christ – but Jesus Christ is Lord of all men. You must have heard about the recent happenings in Judaea; about Jesus of Nazareth and how he began in Galilee after John had been preaching baptism. God had anointed him with the Holy Spirit and with power, and because God was with him, Jesus went about doing good and curing all who had fallen into the power of the devil.’


Gospel
Luke 3:15-16,21-22 
'Someone is coming who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire'
A feeling of expectancy had grown among the people, who were beginning to think that John might be the Christ, so John declared before them all, ‘I baptize you with water, but someone is coming, someone who is more powerful than I am, and I am not fit to undo the strap of his sandals; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. Now when all the people had been baptized and while Jesus after his own baptism was at prayer, heaven opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily shape, like a dove. And a voice came from heaven, ‘You are my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on you.’


It is kind of interesting that scientists say that there is not one drop of water less or more on this earth since it was formed.  How can this be?  We all know of places where droughts have hit and the water is surely gone from there.  Well, the scientists say that the water is not gone, it is just moved from one place or another. Water can power great machines to generate electricity and it can quench our thirst on a desperately hot day and in great quantities, it can reduce cities, towns, and villages into ruin.  Water can also be your first step to heaven.

Let's go back in time specifically to February 14, 1953.  What things of interest happened on this day?  Well, there was a partial eclipse of the sun on this day, Duke beat Michigan in basketball 117 to 102, and oh, I was baptized on this Saturday which my research reveals was a bit chilly here in Chicago at 37 degrees and it was very windy.  But it was unlikely that I felt any of that chill as I was carried into Our Lady of Vilnius Church and there I was officially baptized.  This ceremony would not have taken place in this day and age because I actually was baptized shortly after I was born because I was almost two months premature.  I was supposed to be a Christmas Baby - born on December 25, 1952, but I was in a hurry and was born on November 3, 1952, and yes that makes me a Baby Boomer and an old duffer!  Today the Church would say that the emergency Baptism performed at Michael Reese Hospital was good enough and an official ceremony was not required.  But, I do celebrate the February date as the date I was welcomed into the Church because that was the date, my Godparents, my Uncle John, and Aunt Aggie spoke up for me and rejected Satan, sin, and evil.  Although my official entrance to the Church was on November 3, 1952, I like the fact that I was formally Baptized on St. Valentines Day, I think it is kind of cool. 
Here is a picture of the Church as it looks today.  It was closed many years ago by the Archdiocese of Chicago and is currently for sale.  It was built in 1906 to serve the Lithuanian Catholics enclave on the southwest side of Chicago. Some people lived their whole lives in this community and when it came time for their funeral, well, there was a funeral home right across the street. My grandparents on my mother's side were buried from OLV and through this funeral home. But I digress. 

The day I was Baptized (take your pick the date you prefer) marked my initiation into the Kingdom of God.  I became an adopted son of God and this ritual assured me that I would be welcomed into heaven.  Baptism removes the sin of Adam and Eve from our souls and with Confirmation makes us citizens of heaven.  So, the date of my Baptism is the date that is the most important one as it is the key to the rest of my life. 

Think about the day you were Baptized, celebrate it as if it was your spiritual birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment