Friday, May 18, 2018

Peter The Shepherd

After Jesus had revealed himself to his disciples and eaten breakfast with them, 

he said to Simon Peter,
"Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said to him, "Feed my lambs."
He then said to Simon Peter a second time,
"Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." 
He said to him, "Tend my sheep."
He said to him the third time,
"Simon, son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time,
"Do you love me?" and he said to him,
"Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you."
Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.
Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger,
you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; 
but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands,
and someone else will dress you
and lead you where you do not want to go."
He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God.
And when he had said this, he said to him, "Follow me."

Do you remember the scene in the Godfather where Michael Corleone says to Carlo,  "You've got to answer for Sonny..." Well, Peter has come to that sort of moment in his relationship with Jesus.  Recall that Peter disowned the Lord three times before the cock crowed.   Peter had to be rehabilitated in his own eyes so that he could properly execute the mission of being the leader of the Church on earth.  What we cannot see in our translation of this conversation is the subtle differences between the questions and the answers.  Let's listen in. 

Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me with your whole heart and soul?" 
Peter answers, "I love you like a friend." 

Jesus asks again, "Do you love me with your whole heart and soul?"
Peter answers, "I love you like a friend." 

A third time Jesus asks Peter a different question, "Do you love me like a friend?"  
And Peter answers, "Lord you know all things, you know I love you like a friend." 

Each time Peter answered he as also told to be a shepherd to the flock of the Lord.  Peter and Jesus had repaired their relationship and Peter was ready to move on. He denied Jesus three times and now has affirmed Jesus the same number of times. Jesus then told Peter that one day he would be taken in charge and would lose his life for his Lord and Jesus ends with the command, "Follow me." 

Have you ever had a conversation like this with Jesus?  We all have betrayed Him in our lives.  We all have at one time or another taken the easy way out rather than the road that he pointed out to us.  We all have looked to our comfort and convenience to the expense of our ministry to others. This is because we are human, frail, weak, and needing the Lord to power what we do.  All Jesus asks of us is to love Him and to follow Him wherever He goes.  Sometimes the road will lead to a wedding celebration as at Cana, other times to the Cross at Calvary. Fear not young warrior, He will be with you and will strengthen you no matter where life leads you.  Trust in Him and follow Him. 

Purgatory - the people there need your prayers today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment