Monday, April 29, 2019

Burdens



Gospel
Matthew 11:25-30 ©
You have hidden these things from the wise and revealed them to little children
Jesus exclaimed, ‘I bless you, Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, for hiding these things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to mere children. Yes, Father, for that is what it pleased you to do. Everything has been entrusted to me by my Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father, just as no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
  ‘Come to me, all you who labor and are overburdened, and I will give you rest. Shoulder my yoke and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Yes, my yoke is easy and my burden light.

Burdens, we all carry them.  I do mean all of us including those you might think that they do not have a care in the world.  Even a child carries burdens and here is an example that from my own my life and you may have heard me speak of this before. When I was young, I had a learning disability. During the time I was in school learning disabilities were not understood and so I was classified as "dumb" by the powers that be and I was left in the wake of the class as it sped forward leaving me to flounder in the sea. It was a hard burden to carry because the kids in the class took their cue from the teachers and since I was considered the bottom of the barrel, I was pounced upon by all of the boys that needed to prop themselves up on my shoulders by making sure that I would rise no further. I had a hard time in grades one through seven at the Catholic school I went to. I felt crushed, unwelcome, unloved, and I a lower form of life than other people. This followed me throughout my school years until the age of about twenty-five. It was then I laid my burden down and I believe with the grace of God started my recovery. I attained a fresh new look as to who I was and how I fit in. Talents came to the top and I was recognized at work with promotions and raises. I found comfort in my religion and Jesus and His teachings brought out in me the talents that really mattered. I discovered that I could feel empathy for those who were downtrodden and I think it is because I remembered all those years when I was considered a joke among my peers, how I felt so alone. This experience made me who I am today. I thank God for all He has done for me over the sixty plus years of my life. His love and His grace have shown me that every one of us, no matter how successful we may appear on the outside, still carry burdens on the inside. These burdens may be self-made or they may have been foisted upon us by the circumstances of life. There is hope in Jesus. He can relieve us from any burden that gets too heavy for us. All we have to do is to trust in Him and ask for help and help will come.

I have enjoyed my life in spite of the burdens I have had to carry. Today, I still carry some but I know that what doesn't kill me will make me strong. I also know that my burden can be laid at the feet of Jesus at any moment when it gets too heavy for me. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment