Thursday, April 18, 2019

HOLY THURSDAY -



1 Corinthians 11:23-26 ©
Every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are proclaiming the death of the Lord
This is what I received from the Lord, and in turn passed on to you: that on the same night that he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took some bread, and thanked God for it and broke it, and he said, ‘This is my body, which is for you; do this as a memorial of me.’ In the same way he took the cup after supper, and said, ‘This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Whenever you drink it, do this as a memorial of me.’ Until the Lord comes, therefore, every time you eat this bread and drink this cup, you are proclaiming his death.

It has been exciting these several days we have been on our own left to explore Jerusalem.  Unfortunately, the Palestinians and Israelis have chosen these few days before Good Friday to rattle their swords at each other and we could hear rockets going one way and Israeli fighter jets going the other.  Today, however, peace has broken out later this evening we are all to meet at a private house for dinner.  It is kind of a farewell dinner for us.  The Master said He would be there. 

I cannot help but remember what happened on this day so many years ago.  Our Lord, Jesus Christ, on the night before He died for us on the Cross, took bread into His Venerable Hands, blessed the bread and broke it and said, "This is My Body which is given up for you."  Then He took the cup of wine, blessed and passed it to His disciples saying, "Take this all of you and drink it, this is the Cup of My Blood which is poured out for you, do this in memory of Me." 

Imagine, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ right there on the altar when we go to Mass. How many times have I gone up and received because it was the "Catholic Thing To Do?"  How many times have I thought about breakfast or my job, or getting the car washed, or about the big game while Jesus, God Himself was inside of me with graces that He wanted to give me and yet I never bothered to acknowledge that He was even there?   

We will be attending Holy Thursday Mass later today and then meet up at the restaurant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment